For the purpose of measuring the content of respirable asbestos fibres in ambient air, for over 20 years we have been carrying out sampling in accordance with VDI Guideline 3492. In the VDI procedure, air is drawn through a PVD (physical vapour deposition) gold Nucleopore Filter over a period of eight hours. This filter is subsequently examined by a partner laboratory under a Scanning Electron Microscope (SEM). The fibre types are identified via energy dispersive x-ray analysis (EDXA).
The VDI measurements are categorised as:
- Current situation measurements, which serve to verify whether non-treated asbestos-containing materials are contaminating the air during normal operation.
- Check measurements are made during or immediately following the removal of asbestos-containing materials outside the areas designated for cleaning, in order to determine whether any contamination has reached the surrounding areas.
- Zone release measurements determine the content of respirable asbestos fibres in the ambient air after decontamination work. They are carried out within the decontamination areas to verify whether those areas can be dismantled.
- Final measurements check the quality of the ambient air after the conclusion of all decontamination work, prior to the release of the areas for use.
Over 30 measurements can be conducted simultaneously.
In addition, we offer:
- Continuous ambient air measurements with Fibre Monitor FM 7400
Decontaminations are particularly important in areas where people spend a considerable amount of time. Asbestos decontamination target areas are monitored with laser devices, which continually measure and identify respirable fibres. Carbotech possesses two such laser devices (Fibre Monitor FM 7400).
- Workplace measurements during asbestos decontamination
Workplace measurements during work on asbestos-containing materials reveal the level of pollutants which the workers are exposed to. These measurements lead to ensuring adequate protective measures and improved decontamination techniques.
- Ventilation/emissions measurements during asbestos decontamination
These measurements in accordance with VDI Guideline 3861 check the exhaust cowls of the ventilation system, to verify that the contaminated air is being sufficiently filtered before it is allowed to enter the surrounding external air. This safety precaution protects against the possibility that, for example insufficiently maintained equipment or leakages, are allowing the environment to be contaminated,.
Factsheet Luftmessungen auf Asbest